Coffee On A Soapbox

Warning, what your are about read may have been written in a passionate flury with too much coffee

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Just nothing

Don't slap me in the face and call my job "just". I have a drive through window in my store. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Mostly it bugs me because most people act like complete jerks. They make faces at you, take twice as long to order, and mostly forget that you're still a person, not just some machine. Other than the impatience of people that can't take the time to get out of their car, my biggest pet peeve is the word "just".

"Can I just get a Mocha."

When did my job as a barista become so insignificant that it's easy enough to "just" get a mocha. Am I a cappuccino machine in a gas station that lets coffee sit in a carafe all day and get stale. Some people are really rude and order "just a Mocha, single, 3 pumps, half caf, extra whip". At this point I want to tell them that all day we have toiled cleaning, measuring, stocking, and listening to timers go off every 10 mins just to make you ONE drink. Truth be told one drink isn't a big deal and it is what I am there for. But I consider what I do an art and a commitment, and even a talent. In my world a latte is equivalent to a hour long session with your therapist. Would you call your doctor and say, "Can you just listen to me for the hundredth time."

It's not only people in the drive through, I use to get so mad when my loan officers use say the same thing. "Liz can you just..." What I hear is "Liz, I don't know, and I don't care what your job is, but I need something now and I want it done fast."

People like to use it other ways too. Common with college people: "I just want to get married" or "just want to pass this class"

Here's a thought. Other than you have the money to buy that mocha, what gave you to right to think that I owe you a mocha, or to priorize your loan over the other people that have been waiting patiencenly. And last time I checked God didn't guarentee marriage or A's in college.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger the johnson crew said…

    oh liz, you are so funny. starbucks sounds so yummy right now...

    honestly, i am on the job hunt right now... i was thinking about applying at starbucks after hearing you rave about how wonderful it is to work there compared to the mortgage place... now it sounds scarey... help me.?

    janelle

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    It's not scarey, food service has it's ups and downs that's all. No job is perfect. I do love my job, even with a few crazy customers. Actually I had one the other day that apologized to me for her previous attitude. That was really awesome.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger jeromy & tara said…

    Liz, I can identify with you! I worked at an indie place called Brewing Grounds for 3 months. I loved the experience because coffee shops are my favorite places! I loved learning how to make espresso...but I didn't like the fact that I was always put on the closing shift. That's the bathroom-cleaning, floor-sweeping, stock-everything-from-straws-to-filters job. Make 10 drinks, then clean for the rest of the night. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I applied, though I knew there was indeed cleaning involved. I since received more hours at my other job, but I am grateful for my barista experience. I used to never tip baristas. I figured, I pay $4 for a cup of coffee, why pay more? But now that I've been a barista...I'm considering it. ;) Well, and if you were my barista, you'd get a BIG tip!

    Fun to catch up with you!

    Tara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home