Coffee On A Soapbox

Warning, what your are about read may have been written in a passionate flury with too much coffee

Thursday, November 09, 2006

School work

I've been painting for my current class, so here it is. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm taking an art class (required) for college. I like the class and I was excited for this project (and nervous). I had to pick an artist and emulate him. Not copy his painting, but take his focus and technique and do an original work. So I picked an infamous artist that has a painting in the Minneapolis Art Institute. He seemed to love the sky and most of his focus was on the light and sky. He was also self-taught, so that was appealing. This is my studio. :) I really wish I had an easel. But to spend the money wasn't an option. I have a picture of the artists work and a sheet of paper with focus words like "light" "organic" and "balance" on it to remind me of what I was trying to accomplish. Then there are pictures of clouds because that's what I wanted to paint. My boss at work gave me acrylic paints and brushes that she had used for a project of hers. I didn't even need to pay her for them!! Also thanks Katie for letting me take over the living room for a week.

This is the first draft. I wasn't happy with it. It doesn't say what I was trying to say. It's more abstract and violent feeling. Believe me it looks better in the picture. The colors aren't blended and the light beams are broken. I wanted to paint clouds and light because I like them so much. Especially when the light beams shine behind the clouds. It's that picture of God you get when your little, because of Sunday School and children books.
Things I found were difficult were trying to get the right color and enough paint on the canvas. Also drying time was a problem. I had to work fast enough to be able to blend them together without losing the original desire, but still not look choppy.

The final product. So I have so much more respect for artists now. I am an artistic person, but nothing like what it takes to paint. I'd kind of like to take a painting lesson or too, but I have no time. I'm really happy with my clouds. The light beam still aren't what I wanted, but they serve the purpose. My prof thought it was good, so that's good. Hopefully I'll get an A in this class, we had 3 tests and I hate tests.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Kels said…

    I really like both of your paintings!!! I'm so proud of you and all your accomplishments. You are doing a great job and I hope you get another A in this class. Love ya, Kels

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Brittney Miller said…

    Hey Liz, it's good to see that you are doing well.You have to come visit us soon...Miss you!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home