I came this close
****WARNING**** Upset person talking
Today at work I was trying to enjoy my half an hour lunch break in the cafe of my store. Usually this works out fine; I can sit and sip my coffee, listen to the music and zone out watching the cars drive by or talk to regulars. Today was not such a day. The only other time that had come close to this was when there were two older ladies sitting in our patio area this summer and they went on and on about all their body parts that didn't work, or had, or would need surgery. It is not fun to listen to anyone give detail descriptions of the cancerous mole on their leg that was oozing pus (just so you get the picture). That was didn't even hold a small flame to what I heard today.
I just realized I sound like a snoop. I don't try to be, but some people talk so loud. They just want to be heard. I will add that truly most people talk at appropriate tones for public conversations.
So there I was enjoying my my Double Tall Toffee Nut, not so hot, nonfat, with whip latte and I hear this group of ladies talking about the yacht clubs they belong to and where they had all been. Then one of them spoke up about her honeymoon on some group of islands I had never heard of. All the rest seemed so impressed and then she turned the conversation to just how much she travels for work. So one of the other ladies asked her what she did. She said she was in the mortgage business. (So now I'm thinking it all makes sense.) At the other lady's prodding she went on to say she had been in the business for 20 years and she just loved it because it was a license to steal. THAT'S RIGHT I SAID STEAL!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I had heard wrong, but she went on an on about how much money there is to be made and how easy it's been for last 8-10 years.
I wanted to slap that lady. I don't know her, maybe she was making a joke, but from the way she was talking about money I don't think she was. I couldn't believe someone would say something so horrible out loud, in public, and in front of people she obviously didn't know very well. While this lady was talking, the other women, who had been talking like squawking chickens, got very quite and after a few moments of putting up with this horrible person they started up a different conversation.
All I could do was walk away. Had I not been at work I would have walked up to her and said "I was processor for 6 six years and it was people like you, taking advantage of people's financial situations, that made me take a massive pay cut to be in a business that makes people happy." I was so mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of this to say, that just last night I was thinking that maybe I was making up the last 6 years in my head. Maybe all those men and women that drove me crazy (almost literally) were just an over-reaction to a young girl's inability to cope with a "grown up" job. I didn't really entertain the thought for long. However sometimes its strange to think of how unhappy I was and how happy I am now and that just a job could change that. I suppose a job does make a difference, maybe it shouldn't, but it is were a person usually spends most of their time.
Today at work I was trying to enjoy my half an hour lunch break in the cafe of my store. Usually this works out fine; I can sit and sip my coffee, listen to the music and zone out watching the cars drive by or talk to regulars. Today was not such a day. The only other time that had come close to this was when there were two older ladies sitting in our patio area this summer and they went on and on about all their body parts that didn't work, or had, or would need surgery. It is not fun to listen to anyone give detail descriptions of the cancerous mole on their leg that was oozing pus (just so you get the picture). That was didn't even hold a small flame to what I heard today.
I just realized I sound like a snoop. I don't try to be, but some people talk so loud. They just want to be heard. I will add that truly most people talk at appropriate tones for public conversations.
So there I was enjoying my my Double Tall Toffee Nut, not so hot, nonfat, with whip latte and I hear this group of ladies talking about the yacht clubs they belong to and where they had all been. Then one of them spoke up about her honeymoon on some group of islands I had never heard of. All the rest seemed so impressed and then she turned the conversation to just how much she travels for work. So one of the other ladies asked her what she did. She said she was in the mortgage business. (So now I'm thinking it all makes sense.) At the other lady's prodding she went on to say she had been in the business for 20 years and she just loved it because it was a license to steal. THAT'S RIGHT I SAID STEAL!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I had heard wrong, but she went on an on about how much money there is to be made and how easy it's been for last 8-10 years.
I wanted to slap that lady. I don't know her, maybe she was making a joke, but from the way she was talking about money I don't think she was. I couldn't believe someone would say something so horrible out loud, in public, and in front of people she obviously didn't know very well. While this lady was talking, the other women, who had been talking like squawking chickens, got very quite and after a few moments of putting up with this horrible person they started up a different conversation.
All I could do was walk away. Had I not been at work I would have walked up to her and said "I was processor for 6 six years and it was people like you, taking advantage of people's financial situations, that made me take a massive pay cut to be in a business that makes people happy." I was so mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of this to say, that just last night I was thinking that maybe I was making up the last 6 years in my head. Maybe all those men and women that drove me crazy (almost literally) were just an over-reaction to a young girl's inability to cope with a "grown up" job. I didn't really entertain the thought for long. However sometimes its strange to think of how unhappy I was and how happy I am now and that just a job could change that. I suppose a job does make a difference, maybe it shouldn't, but it is were a person usually spends most of their time.

2 Comments:
At 8:17 AM,
Celeste said…
I know what that 'horrible job' feels like - I still have flashbacks of Marshall Fields and make me feel like I was 2 inches tall. Half of the times I called in sick I think it was because I was sick of work. New York Mint was very weird and odd at first (I admit it is a very non-conventional job), but now I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything , except for a stay-at-home position.
God gives us talents and puts us in various positions so we can help people, be helped, and learn. I know I learned a lot. I know you learned a lot too...otherwise you would still be miserable.
I'm very happy that you're at Starbucks, even if it means that we get to see you a lot less.
At 9:56 PM,
the johnson crew said…
i am also very glad you are at starbucks. how could you not be happy drinking tall drinks all day...(JK).
that is pretty sad when you overhear other people's conversations and there is nothing you can do about it.
i enjoy reading your posts.
janelle
Post a Comment
<< Home